REDUCE, REUSE AND RECYCLE
M-O® Committed to reducing our environmental footprint
CONTINUALLY IMPLEMENTING THE NEWEST ‘GREEN’ TECHNOLOGY AND FOSTERING A WORK ENVIRONMENT WHICH RESPECTS OUR COMMITMENT TO THE ENVIRONMENT.
M-O recognizes, as our company continues to grow,so does our impact on the environment. We strive to ensure all employees are aware, and do their utmost to minimize the impact of carbon emissions.
We are proud to participate in the FleetSmart program in conjunction with the Canadian government's Department of Natural Resources.
THINGS WE DO:
- No idle policy at all Maritime-Ontario terminals
- Speed limitators to reduce fuel consumption and CO2 emitted
- Smog free engine
- Low rolling resistance tires
- Trailer 'base', tractor aerodynamics
- Utilizing bunk heaters in winter as oposed to idling the engine
- M-O's logistic loading process maximizes trailer capacity over any other loading process which increases total available capacity by as much as 40%, reducing trailers by approximately 33%
- Leveraging intermodal connectivity, significant reduction in volume of over the road trailers, resulting in a 66% decrease of CO2 emmissions
- Lights out policy at all Maritime-Ontario terminals.
M-O recognizes as our company grows so does our impact on the environment. We strive to ensure all employees are aware and do their utmost to minimize the impact of these potentially harmful effects. Minimizing emissions, energy usage and alternative ways of moving freight are entrenched values in all employees.
Alternative Ways of Moving Freight
- M-O’s Logistic loading process to maximize trailer utilization.
- Using intermodal service to reduce the number of trailer moving over the road.
- Using container vessel to reduce the number of trailers moving over the road.
- Lights out policy on all M-O facilities when not in use.
- Keeping all dock doors closed when furnace is on and doors not in use.
- Keeping thermostats set a reasonable levels for heat and air conditioning.
- Utilizing natural light to reduce electricity in buildings.
Purchasing equipment that is certified for energy efficiency to reduce the amount of fuel burned on shipments requiring temperature control.
Maintain all equipment on a regular basis to ensure maximum efficiency.
Ensuring proper tire pressure on all units.
Proactive Measures Fuel Savings
- Cab and Roof Flaring 6%
- Adjustable Roof Deflectors 2%
- Trailer Side Skirts 4%
- Rear Trailer Flaring 1%
All above are designed to reduce the amount of fuel consumed in-turn reducing CO2 emissions.
M-O has developed a process to maximize utilization on all units. Trailers and containers are loaded logistically which increases the total space available by upwards of 40%. If we take an average of 25% this has actually reduced the total number of units shipped on the rail by 2226 and reduced CO2 by another 6,118 tonnes.
There was an additional 3200 units that moved via road. Using the same formula loading logistically has reduced the total number of units shipped by 1066 and further reduced CO2 emissions by 2,880 tonnes. The total reduction in one year was 24,638 tonnes of CO2.
- As you can see it is the small measures that are making a difference.
- Engaging everyone in the process
- Being innovative
- Encouraging implementation of sound environmental process
- Minimization of waste in all operations will ensure M-O’s success in reducing our environmental footprint.